Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Assistive Walking Devices

Several months ago, out of curiosity, I googled "exoskeleton legs." It seemed to me that surely someone out there might be working on a robotic device, like leg braces, that would allow someone like me to be able to walk farther, maybe even climb mountains.

I found a couple of things that were interesting. One is being developed by Honda, and it has a small saddle-type seat (kind of like a bike) and attaches to the feet. It runs on a battery, and apparently works by taking some of the weight off your legs and helping to lift your legs up for walking. Pretty cool. But kind of funny-looking. Still, I'm willing to look a little funny if it will allow me to walk further!

Another device I found is called HAL- Hybrid Assistive Limb. It's made by Cyberdyne, and looks a bit like a Storm Trooper outfit. But apparently they also make a half-body version for the legs only. This one attaches around the waist, and also uses a battery pack to lift the legs. They say it can increase your strength by a factor of 2 to 10, and they said it was specially designed for climbing mountains! Unfortunately it's not available in the US yet. But they say to be patient, it will come!

For now, there is a device that is a little lower tech, but may help me out. It's called Mu Smate, and it was developed by a man in England whose wife has multiple sclerosis. It straps around the back and goes down to the feet, and works by lifting the feet up. Others with MS who tried the device and were able to increase their walking speed and distance significantly. And even though I have Congenital Myasthenic Syndrome and not Multiple Sclerosis, they are both degenerative neuro-muscular disorders. So maybe, just maybe, this little device could help me too. I think it could be worth a try.

Here are links to each of these devices:

Honda device (I don't think they've named it yet!) http://www.hondanews.com/search/release/4872?q=walking&s=honda

H.A.L. by Cyberdine: http://www.hondanews.com/search/release/4872?q=walking&s=honda

Mu Smate: http://www.musmate.co.uk/index2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment