Thursday, September 24, 2009

Creatine?

I remember hearing about Creatine several years ago, but I've never had a doctor recommend it for me. Last week I had a follow-up appointment with my neurologist, and I asked if there was anything to do to improve my muscle recovery time. And he suggested taking Creatine.

I'm not sure how long it will take to see if it makes a difference. It's bad enough I get weak so quickly, but then it takes so long to recover! It's really getting in the way of my 5k training! There is such a delicate balance, trying to push myself enough to improve, but not so much that I overexert myself and can't do anything for a week or two!

I've been really weak the last week or so, and there doesn't seem to be any explanation for it. But I am still determined to keep moving forward, to keep trying to figure out how to be STRONG! I already see that being more active leads me to having more energy and endurance, so that I am able to have more "strong" days. But man, on those weak days it is so hard to make myself be active. And I KNOW that even doing a little bit on those weak days is better than doing nothing. It's like I get "over-rested." So the more I rest, the longer it takes for me to recover. But if I walk, even for just a few minutes, when I'm weak, I tend to improve faster. Amazing!

Sometimes I really wish I could look inside my body and see just what is going on in there. What happens when a message is sent from my brain to the muscle? What exactly is the problem? Why is it so complicated? Once a muscle gets over stimulated, what is the best way to help that muscle recover? And there is the problem of the weakness in my mouth & eyes. That seems much more difficult to overcome than even my legs! My eyelids just do not want to open all the way! How can I give my eyes and mouth adequate rest, without sleeping? Should I become a mute and walk around with my eyes closed 80% of the time? Then the other 20% of the time maybe I could smile and my eyes would be wide open! Ugh. Wish I had the answers.

Well, if anyone has suggestions for how I might get stronger, please let me know! I am always open to suggestions! For now, I'll try the Creatine and see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment