Sunday, August 16, 2009

First Run/Walk

Well, maybe I should call it a "Walk/Run." It was definitely more of a walk! But that's the way it's supposed to be. I set out on a 20 minute walk- approximately one mile, and was able to incorporate 3 bursts of running at a minute each. That third burst was pretty tough for me. I had to imagine Jillian from The Biggest Loser pushing me through- "Come on, just 30 more seconds! You can do it! Don't stop! 10 more seconds. All right! You did it!" So I raised my arms in celebration and did a cool-down walk the rest of the way home.

It feels so good to be walking. Sometimes it's hard for me to believe how much of my life I spent in a wheelchair. And I had always believed that pushing myself at all physically would only end up making me worse. If only I had known that over-resting was making me worse! Over-exertion in the short-run certainly makes me weaker. So I have to be careful not to push too much. I don't want to take a week or two to recover! I'd much rather be able to recover in a day or two. It's hard to take it slow though when I am having a "strong" day. I will have to make myself conserve so I can maybe turn one strong day into two.

I'm off to a good start. Just gotta stay consistent!

1 comment:

  1. just saying hello from the uk; my 7yo niece has cms and i just fell on your 'circle' of cms blogs. i will let my brother and his wife know about you, i am sure they will be very interested.

    kind regards


    claire

    ReplyDelete