Saturday, August 15, 2009

On the way to a 5k

I've been researching the last few days on how to train for a 5k. It looks like the general consensus is that it's best to train slowly and not push too hard. Good advice for everyone, but especially for those of us with myasthenia because we tend to get over-extended more quickly than everyone else. Plus it seems our recovery time is much longer.

I wonder if it's possible to minimize recovery time. There are lots of supplements on the market for body-builders, but I don't know if any of these products actually work. One that I am very curious about is Glutamine. Supposedly this is a product that helps your muscles recover. I guess I can give it a shot. Need to talk to the doc and see what he thinks about it.

Today I officially started my training. I got some ankle weights and did a few sets of various leg lifts. It felt really good! I've been walking a lot, but now that I have a goal I will have to be more focused. I found a "Couch to 5k Running Plan" that could be perfect for me. It's a 3-day a week plan, starting with 20 minutes. It's a nine-week plan. So I should be doing a 5k around Oct 17. That's pretty exciting to think about! I will definitely need some encouragement along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment